Helical geared motors are widely used. The installed helical gearboxes are characterized by spur gears on parallel axes, i.e. axial gears with gear pairs arranged in series. The single-stage spur gear unit thus consists of two shafts with one gear wheel each. The torque can be increased by further intermediate shafts with gearwheels. Normally 3 stages per gear are used. Gears can be combined in double gearboxes to increase the reduction ratio. The gear wheels are usually helical toothed.
- SEW helical gear unit
- Conveyor sections
- Vertical conveyor
- Relatively simple design, due to few moving parts
- High service life
- High efficiency
- Maximum transmission ratio of approx. 6 for one stage
- Relatively large and heavy with the same transmission power (compared to a planetary gearhead)
- Louder than worm gears
- Spatial position
The spatial position determines the design: foot, flange or in a few cases even both.
- Cooling (with or without forced cooling fan)
- Position of the terminal box and the cable entry / plug position
- With & without brake (SEW-brakes & brake rectifier)
- With & without tacho encoder (for operating the gearmotor via frequency inverter)
- With explosion-proof three-phase motors (ATEX)
- Temperature sensor
- Only solid shaft possible
- Aseptic gear motors (keyword: Hygiene)
Helical geared motors alternatives
Use with Frequency converter
Naturally, the speed of helical geared motors can be controlled by means of a frequency converter, just like other types of geared motors. When reducing the speed, however, the helical geared motor should be protected against overheating by means of a PTC thermistor, reduced current or other measures.
SEW, but now also all other manufacturers, also offer frequency inverters that are directly connected to the housing of the helical geared motor. We would be pleased to supply you with the frequency inverter that matches your helical geared motor. We would be happy to advise you. More about this: frequency inverters
Increase efficiency, retrofit now!
Conversion to energy-saving gearmotors usually pays for itself within 2 years at the latest.
Here we present the frequently requested helical gearmotors from SEW. However, we would also be happy to help you convert to helical gearmotors from other manufacturers, e.g: SIMOGEAR helical gear units
SEW Helical geared motors
SEW helical geared motors of the R..DR… series offer outstanding product characteristics with regard to energy efficiency. Especially the three-phase asynchronous motors of efficiency classes IE3 and IE4. Do you have any questions? Contact us!
Available rated gear unit torque: From 39 to 18.000 Nm (Higher rated gear unit torques for SEW industrial gear units)
Gear unit designation from SEW:
- RX series (single-stage/high output speeds): From size RX57 to RX107
- RX series (two and three stages): From size R07 to R167 (2 or 3 stages / also as double gear unit)
- RM series (for agitator applications): From size RM57 to RM167 (2- or 3-stage / also as double gear unit)
- from 1.3 to 8.65 (1-stage)
- from 3.21 to 46 (2-stage)
- from 21.73 to 229.71 (3-stage)
- from 90 to 27.001 (double gear)
Max. Motor power: 160 kW
Helical geared motors manufacturers
We always recommend helical gear units and helical gearmotors from SEW. We can also meet special customer requirements (other manufacturers) due to our extensive product portfolio. We can therefore also offer you helical gear units and helical gearmotors from the following manufacturers: