Buy ATEX motors - Project planning incl.
In addition to explosion-proof motors, we also offer the project planning of your required drive.
Thanks to our long-standing contacts with SEW and other major manufacturers, we can also offer cost-effective solutions.
Explosion-proof motors in potentially explosive atmospheres
The prefix ATEX (French abbreviation for ATmosphères EXplosibles) designates as Prefix products/devices that can be used in potentially explosive atmospheres.
- Bakers (flour-processing productions such as large bakery companies)
- Chemical industry
- Automotive technician
- Plastics processor
- Metal grinder
- Trade (with paints, varnishes, chemicals, wood)
- Filling stations
- Liquid gas storage
- Hazardous goods warehouse
- Transport sector
- Wood processing companies (e. g. cabinet makers)
- Varnish manufacturers & paint processing companies
The most important directives for explosion protection:
IEC Ex (International Electrotechnical Commission based in Geneva)
PESO (CCOE India)
Temperature classes (gas)
The amount of work and effort required to operate a drive, or the conditions that must be met in order to operate in a potentially explosive atmosphere, depend on the classification of the environment.
- T1 with max. Surface temperature of
450 °C. For example, when processing
- Propane gas: 510 °C
- Natural gas: 650 °C
- T2 with max. Surface temperature of
300 °C. For comparison, the ignition temperature of
- Acetylene: 305 °C
- T3 with max. Surface temperature of 200 °C For comparison the ignition temperatures of
- Petrol 260-450 °C
- Diesel 220 °C
- T4 with max. Surface temperature of 135 °C For comparison the ignition temperatures of
- Diethyl ether 170 °C
- T5 with max. Surface temperature of 100 °C
- T6 with max. Surface temperature of 85 °C
For comparison the ignition temperatures of sp;
- Sulphur carbon 95 °C
The amount of work and effort required to operate a drive, or the conditions that must be met in order to operate in a potentially explosive atmosphere, depend on the classification of the environment. The areas/zones are then named after the occurrence of the explosive atmosphere:
- Explosive atmosphere as a mixture of air and flammable gases, vapours or mists:
- Zone 0: continuously or over long periods or frequently present.
- Zone 1: Occasionally present during normal operation.
- Zone 2: normally not available during normal operation or only for a short time.
- Explosive atmosphere in the form of a cloud of combustible dust contained in the air:
- Zone 20: continuous or over long periods of time or frequently present: Zone 0
- Zone 21: Occasionally present during normal operation.
- Zone 22: normally not available during normal operation or only for a short time.
Apart from the fact that gearboxes and motors can be differently dimensioned/equipped, there are other important properties depending on the use of the geared motor. We are happy to advise you!
- Room location / type of construction
Please note: Depending on the position of the geared motor (installed / in three-dimensional space) a sufficient fill level with oil must be ensured. All teeth, rolling bearings, etc. must be immersed in oil by turns and completely lubricated.
- The spatial position determines the design: foot, flange or in some cases even both.
While the gearbox is very heat-stable, sufficient cooling must be ensured for the engine.
Normally, a geared motor cools itself. In exceptional cases, an external fan must be installed.
- Position of terminal box / cable entry Connector position
This point again concerns the nature of the place of operation. It goes without saying that you want good cable accessibility. The location of the terminal box on the motor and the cable entry should be planned well.
- With & without brake
- With & without tachometer encoder (for operation of the geared motor via frequency inverter)
- With explosion-proof three-phase motors (ATEX) for use in potentially explosive atmospheres (EU Directive 94/9/EC (ATEX), or from 20.04.2016 of the EU Directive 2014/34/EU (ATEX)).
- Temperature sensors
- Aseptic geared motors
- In some applications such as:
- Food, luxury food and beverage industry
- Chemical / Pharmaceutical industry
- Dairy / Cheese dairy
special hygiene regulations must be observed. Here, geared motor housings must be cleaned regularly and even treated with disinfectant. Therefore, they must be closed and the surface painted accordingly. In addition, Aseptic geared motors are larger in size because they do not require ventilation and the heat can only be dissipated via the larger surface area of the housing.
Manufacturer of explosion-proof motors
We sell gearboxes and geared motors of the following manufacturers: