Helical geared motors are widely used. The helical gears used are characterized by spur gears on parallel axes, i. e. axial gears with gear pairs arranged one after the other. The single-stage spur gear thus consists of two shafts with one gear wheel each. The torque can be increased by additional intermediate shafts with gear wheels. Normally, 3 stages are used per gear unit. Gears can be combined in double gears to increase the reduction ratio. The gears are usually helical toothed.
Due to our long-standing contact with SEW (in case of special customer requirements but also with other large helical gear manufacturers) we can additionally convince with low prices. Z.B.:
- Conveying section
- Transport of general cargo
- Vertical conveyor
- Relatively simple construction, due to few moving parts
- External toothed spur gears are easy to produce.
- Long service life
- High efficiency
- Maximum ratio of approx. 6 for one stage
- Relatively large and heavy at the same transmission power (compared to a planetary gear)
- Louder than worm gear
Use with frequency inverter
Of course, the speed of helical geared motors can be controlled by means of a frequency inverter, just like other types of geared motors. However, when the motor is being lowered, a PTC thermistor, reduced current or other measures should be used to protect the spur geared motor from overheating.
SEW, and in the meantime all other manufacturers, also offer frequency inverters that are located directly on the housing of the spur geared motor. We will be pleased to supply you with a frequency inverter suitable for your spur geared motor. We would be pleased to advise you. More information: Frequency inverters
Apart from the fact that gearboxes and motors can be differently dimensioned/equipped, there are other important properties depending on the application of the spur geared motor.
- Spatial position
The spatial position determines the design: foot, flange or in some cases even both.
With or without forced cooling fan
- Position of the terminal box and the cable entry / plug position
- With & without brake
- With & without tachometer encoder (for operation of the geared motor via frequency inverter)
- With explosion-proof AC motors (ATEX)
- Temperature sensors
- Only solid shaft possible
- Aseptic geared motors (keyword: hygiene)
Helical gearboxes Alternatives
- Parallel shaft geared motors (space saving)
- Planetary geared motor (precise)
- Servo geared motors? helical geared servo motor (smaller dimensions, lower weight and higher dynamics)
Increase efficiency, retrofit now!
Conversion to energy-saving geared motors usually pays for itself within 2 years at the latest.
Here we present the frequently requested helical geared motors from SEW. However, we will also be happy to help you with the conversion to helical geared motors from other manufacturers, e. g. SIMOGEAR helical gearboxes.
SEW Helical geared motors
The SEW helical geared motors of the R.. DR… DR… series offer outstanding product characteristics in terms of energy efficiency. Especially the three-phase asynchronous motors of efficiency classes IE3 and IE4 have questions? Please contact us!
Available gear unit torque: from 39 to 18,000 Nm (higher gear unit torque for SEW industrial gear units)
Gear unit designation from SEW:
- RX series (single-stage/high output speeds): from size RX57 to RX107
- R series (two and three-stage): From size R07 to R167 (2 or 3-stage / also as double gear unit)
- RM series (for agitator applications): From size RM57 to RM167 (2- or 3-stage / also as double gear)
- from 1.3 to 8.65 (1-step)
- from 3.21 to 46 (2-step)
- from 21.73 to 229.71 (3-stage)
- from 90 to 27.001 (double gear)
Max. Engine performance: 160 kW
Helical Geared Motors Manufacturer
We generally recommend helical gear units and helical geared motors from SEW. Due to our extensive product portfolio, we are also able to meet special customer requirements (other manufacturers). We can therefore also offer helical gears and helical geared motors from the following manufacturers: